Tuesday 2 January 2018

I Remember; Do you?

I Remember; Do you?


I remember the first time we met;
Strangers as we were, we got acquainted nevertheless.
We had been introduced as partners for a job,
And we did turn out to be the best, in the entire college!
I remember; Do you?

I remember, how we became friends, as the time went by,
We may not have talked every day back then;
But with every job we did together,
We kept coming closer, and closer…
I remember; Do you?

I remember how our friendship evolved,
From acquaintances to friends, to best friends;
All because we matched so much,
Our thinking, our ideas, even our fantasies…
I remember; Do you?

I remember how this friendship turned…
Into one of the most wonderful relationship,
I had ever seen…
When we confessed our feeling for each other,
That beautiful July evening…
I remember, my friend, Do you?

I remember our first hug,
The one that you said, made you feel ‘secure’,
The hug that made me feel special,
As if I’m the luckiest guy in the world;
I remember it, Do you, dear?

I remember our first kiss;
The one that scared both of us to death:
As we didn’t want people to know about us,
Or maybe, you didn’t want people to know.
It was a wonderful kiss nonetheless,
I remember; Do you?

I remember all of it, buddy;
Those laughs, those texts, those video calls,
Those promises, which you used to make,
And later it all turned out to be fake…
I remember; Do you?

Then, I remember that October Saturday,
The day I saw you in his arms, hiding from all;
You were surprised to see me there;
Didn’t see me coming, did you?
Had you seen me, I’m sure you’d have a perfect excuse,
To be there, all alone, with your ‘he’s just a good friend’!
I remember it, Do you?
I remember how this broke me,
Into so many pieces that I lost count…
My sleep, my career, my meals, all started to fade away,
Because all I could focus on was that October Saturday!

Never in my wildest dreams had I thought…
That you’d do something like this to me,
Maybe that’s why it hurt so much;
 Because I trusted you, in spite of you saying not to…
I remember; Do you?

I’d give up all of it, forgive everything,
Forget our first kiss, your gorgeous face,
The dimples on your cheeks, your laughs
And all those time we spent together for so long!
Just tell me, baby,
where did I go wrong…?

I remember;
All those days we spent together,
All those jokes we laughed on,
All those moments where you held my hand tightly;
Saying that you’d never let me go…
All those nights where we fell asleep,
Talking to each other…
All those promises that you made,
Of never leaving, of being together…
I remember…
Do you?


Diptarka Ghosh Hajra

No comments:

Post a Comment